Yes! Can you believe it? We got to do a project for our new house! It’s been a long time coming and it couldn’t be an easier one. If you are wondering if we are finally in the house, the answer is NO. WE. ARE. NOT! We have about 4 more weeks, but I told my husband if I didn’t so some kind of project, I was going to go crazy. It was the perfect weekend. My little puppy Boone turned one on Saturday and then we got to go to Home Depot and hang out in the wood aisle. I’m sure you all know what a batten and board shutter looks like. There are tutorials all over Pinterest. I’m not doing a tutorial per se, just showing the steps that got us from point A to Z.
So these are batten and board shutters. These you can custom order in pretty much any size and color. I plugged in our dimensions and they came to $216 a pair. Ouch. You can also buy the plastic variety from the big box stores for roughly $100 for the size we needed, and our builder wanted $145 per pair. We just didn’t want the plastic shutters so we took the credit from our builder on the plastic ones, and decided that we would build our own. This is pretty much the easiest project you will ever do. No, really. If you can cut a straight edge and read a tape then you are half way there. There were several options at Home Depot. Cedar, Poplar, and pine. Cedar is probably the best for an outside application, but it’s pretty pricey. I didn’t want to use pine, because it’s so soft, but I happened to see this pre-primed wood. It seemed harder somehow. Maybe it’s heat dried. I don’t know, but I do that it was a huge savings. We made one set of shutters for approximately $50. We gathered our screws, wood glue, sand paper, paint and headed home. You’re probably wondering why I don’t have all this stuff in stock at home. Well, I do, it’s just all packed away. Seriously, if don’t get in this house soon, I’m going to end up in the nut house. Anyway, here are a few things we picked up.
So we measured the window. It was 62″ from top to bottom, inside to inside. We knew we wanted three 1×4’s across for a total of six 1×4’s measuring 62″ long. I’ve seen anywhere from two boards to four, some with spaces, some without. It’s totally up to you.
Using your handy dandy speed square, mark your line after finding 62″ with your tape. Double check that! Remember, measure twice cut once. If anyone is likely to screw that up, it’s me, I’m always in such a hurry to get started. Now it’s time for my favorite tool, the chop saw.
Make all your cuts, then you can line them up and decide how big of a gap you want between the boards, if any. I made a jig using my long metal ruler and a square. I clamped them to the table in an L shape so I could pull the boards tight against the spacers. Once you determine your gaps you can measure for the batten or cross brace. Once you’ve determined that, go ahead and cut those. Now here is where you will also decide if you want two or three battens per board. We decided on two. If we notice the boards starting to warp, we may have have to add one in the middle.
So, now is probably the time to paint your board, especially if you are doing black over white. It’s so not fun trying to paint in a 1/4 inch gap once they are together. Trust me, paint first. We didn’t. We wanted to get them made so we could test them on the house. What a pain. Anyway, put the top and side of your board against the jig, put your spacers next and pull the next board tight against them. We used our finish nail gun and wood glue to hold them together long enough to flip them and put in screws from behind.
We loved it. So we headed home and made the second one. Then the fun of painting began.
Looks like a three coater to me! I eventually had to move back to the garage, the sun was too hot and was drying the paint too fast. In between the first and second coat of paint I sanded with 320 grit sand paper. This helped make it super smooth.
Coat number two really made them look great.
So I finished my third coat and they look amazing. I will put a clear sealer on them for added protection. Oh and I have enough wood left over to make a set for a little 24″ window!
I love them. Unfortunately, we can’t install them until we actually close on the house. Supposedly that is the 23rd of May. We shall see. Oh and don’t judge the garage! It’s a temporary rent situation and it’s only a one car. Hard to keep neat for 7 months!!! LOL. Anyway, thanks for hanging around. Come back and I’ll show the shutters on the house once we move in. Oh, for our next project…something similar to this.
Until next time…