Ok, I know what you’re thinking. This ReStore thing is getting to be a habit. I know, I know. My husband and I try to hit the ReStore every Saturday morning. Sometimes we can’t make it and I always wonder what treasure I missed. This particular Saturday, must have been hotel renovation day. There were hundreds of matching chairs, sofas, tables and headboards. I looked at that headboard and knew immediately what I wanted to do. This is another project where I am late to the party. DIY’ers and bloggers have been using chalkboard paint for years. Jessica at Mom4real.com has some really awesome projects using chalkboard paint. I usually wait until a trend has passed before I get on board. Kinda like chevrons. I haven’t made anything using the chevron. Now I think it’s kinda run it’s course. Oh well, I’m sure I’ll make something next year using the chevron. Anyway… this is my chalkboard.
Let me show you where this little beauty started.
Why such a crappy photo you ask? Well, let me tell you, this thing was heavy! I needed my husband to hold it up, and he wasn’t available.
Up close and sanded
Here is a little up close shot, so you can see some of the detail. I did a light sanding to get her ready for priming.
Priming with Kilz
I used Kilz white primer for the outside frame. I was going to paint it orange so I wanted to cover as much of the brown as I could. When it came to priming the parts that would be covered with chalkboard paint, I remembered I had tinted a quart of Kilz for a table that I painted black. So, I dug that out and painted those parts with grey primer.
Kilz tinted with black
This is how it turned out.
primed with Kilz
Here’s a close up.
The biggest issue I had with with this headboard was the unfinished bottom edge. This was most likely hidden behind the mattress. Here’s a look.
What to do, what to do? Hubby and I hit the Lowe’s looking for some kind of edge piece that I could used to not only hide the unfinished edge, but provide a place to put my chalk. I think this fluted piece of molding is perfect.
Ok, this is also a crappy picture -it’s very hard to see, but imagine taking four finders and running them down a piece of wood to create four grooves. The back side is rounded. All I did with this is cut it to size, prime, paint and attach with with wood glue and nails. Presto! It’s perfect.
Now on to the fun stuff. I’m sure you all know that orange is my favorite color. Most of the stuff in my new craft room is white (popped corn) with orange usually in the interior. This time I decided to just go with the orange.
I used the same paint, Sherwin Williams Tango, that I got in the sample size and have used on many projects.
Mmmmm, I love this orange. I almost painted my kitchen this color! Ok, back to the project at hand. Now it was time to start the chalkboard paint. Again, my first time!! So excited. Anyway, I started to realize that the two smaller sections on both ends were really too small to write in, so I decided to put cork down! I had this from a leftover 4th of July project that I never posted :(.
Ha! Looks good right? I really liked the idea of having the cork on the ends. Yay. While the paint was drying etc., I made a trip to Hobby Lobby to look for some orange and white tacks for my new cork sections. Couldn’t have just any tacks. They needed to be pretty. I could not find a thing. That’s when I remembered that I have a jar with orange and white buttons. So I glued some to the heads of tacks and viola, pretty tacks!
Pretty right? I really like them. Here’s the board with the first coat of paint.
I really think that tinted primer helped. I only needed two coats of the Rustoleum Chalkboard paint. Now, the only reason I know about this next step is because I read a lot of great blogs. I didn’t even read the can of paint (who can anyway with that tiny print)! I just remembered seeing this done – condition your chalkboard. Huh you say? Check out this photo.
Now you know what conditioning is. You run your chalk sideways over the chalkboard and then you wipe it off. Simple. Now it’s ready to hang and write on. This is the backside of the headboard. It came with two of these metal hanging plates. Unfortunately, it didn’t come with the part that it hung on, on the wall.
If you look closely at this pic, down in the far left bottom corner you can see a rubber bumper. It came with one on all four sides. Bonus for my walls. Anyway, since this thing was so heavy, we used four hangers and four large heavy duty picture hangers on the wall. No pic, sorry, but you know what I’m talking about. I needed a cool way to store my chalk and to make sure it was on hand when I needed it. I didn’t want to put every piece on the tray. I have these orange buckets all over my craftroom table and I knew it would be perfect for this.
Perfect. A little cup hook, and done!
So there ya have it! My Habitat ReStore Headboard turned Chalkboard. Hope you enjoyed your time on the blog. Until next time…
Linking up at:
Clean and Scentsible Inspiration Exchange No10